Thursday, February 22, 2007

Teresa's new OBA phone number(s) ... & mini-update on Climbing & Thunderstorm Excitement :)

Teresa's mini-anchor set-up for rock climbing ... the real thing uses 25 or 50m ropes & the anchors go around big rocks or trees, not the blue straps on my climbing harness :) (February 22, 2007)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Everyone ... & early birthday greetings Pops!!

Hey Dad, I'll call & try to catch you after you are back from your dinner out on the 23rd ;)

It turns out that we got switched over to a new phone number system which will enable direct dialing to reach me in my living space at the ROMEO apartments ...

* for calls from overseas you need to dial 011 61 2 6235 5764 or 6235 5743
* within Australia, it's (02) 6235 5764 or 5743

... more often than not, I am around here between 7:00 and 10:00 p.m. on days we are here at OBA.

I am 18 hours ahead of Alberta's Mountain Standard Time (not 16 as I had indicated earlier) ... so, NOON for me, is 6 p.m. back in AB & 6 p.m. for me is midnight the day before, etc. ... another way to look at it is that I am 6 hours behind but alread in tomorrow ... I'll let you think that through :)

I have access to some pretty inexpensive international calling card rates ... so am happy to return calls if the rates you are getting are not so good. I haven't quite found the most reasonable callng card for calling withing Australia so if anyone of my Aussie mates can suggest something I'd appreciate it!

I'll write up another update for everone after our current CLIMB & ABSEIL training block is over in a couple of days ... I should be able to get things caught up during the time I have off on the 25-26th Feb.

I need to tend to a few things before heading to sleep, we meet up at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning to head out for our ABSEIL training pt. 2 out at the Northern Orroral Ridge Abseil (NORA) site.

Today we went back to Booroomba rocks to practice setting up anchors for rock climbing sites ... it was great fun watching the big storm clouds roll in and to hear the amazing thunder & see the lightning that cracked over the not too distant hillsides/mountainsides ... it was VERY EXCITING to be sooooo up close & personal with such storm activity :) We were preparing to move away from our higher vantage point & keeping an eye on how close the storm & lightning were getting to us ... and did not have to worry about being in harms way since the storm moved on & we headed to the base of the climb site to do some climbing :)

ominous clouds gathering nearby

storm clouds advancing our way at Booroomba Rocks (February 22, 2007)

I was able to do one of the climbs that we kept intact before we called it a day ... it took a little work but I found my way up along the rough, steep, granite boulders :) ...

Teresa ... mid-way up "the flake" (February 22, 2007)

"I made it!" (February 22, 2007)

Spectacular view from another part of Booroomba Rocks ...
quite a well known climbing site BUT not the place where we were practicing :) (February 22, 2007)

More in a few days ...

Be well,

Teresa

2 comments:

Mom said...

Awesome pictures and you look like you are having some fun. Keep up the great job and thanks for the phone numbers and trying to straighten us out on the time difference. Take care and love you bunches.

Unknown said...

Hey Missy,

The updates and photos are fantastic. Looking forward to talking to you soon. Miss you lots!

Global Sunlight Map

Lunar Phase

"Awakening the Dreamer ... Changing the Dream"

Joanna Macy & David Korten Dialogue on the Great Turning ("For the Grandchildren" event)

Money as Debt video - Paul Grignon

The Story of Cap & Trade (Annie Leonard)

YouTube

How It All Ends - http://www.gregcraven.org/en/the-videos

Oh, the Places You'll Go! - Dr. Seuss