Tuesday, December 19, 2006

DECEMBER 16, 2006 (3 days ago) ... more from Sydney ... my 1st stop in OZ

I wrote up this post while in the Sydney airport, waiting to fly over to Melbourne, but wasn't able to actually post it until today, Dec. 19, 2006 from here in Melbourne ...

Teresa, the "not too tired Tigger", near Bronte Beach (Dec. 14, 2006)

I was able to reconnect with a few of my Sydney-based Seed Mates (friends from the "Seeds for the Future" intensive with Joanna Macy in SW Australia in 2005) during my first leg of my newest Aussie adventures. The morning I arrived on the 13th of December, Simon was able to pick me & all my gear up at the airport. We enjoyed breakfast overlooking Bronte Beach after a little swim/beach walk and then I eventually checked in to the Bondi Beach House YHA Youth Hostel.

The next day, I enjoyed a great 3 and a half hour walk along the coast & beaches from Bondi Beach south to Coogoo Beach where I met up with another Seed Mate, Sue.

amazing colours of the Tasman Sea

another great beach between Bondi & Coogee beaches in Sydney (Dec. 14, 2006)

barnacles & tiny periwinkles

Gaia's sandstone art

We missed out on the Iyengar yoga class that Sue invited me to join her for (because of the late arrival of our bus). So we headed to Bondi Junction nearby & searched out the most excellent “food court” food that I have ever tasted. The “food court” is not the typical set-up as those in the Canadian or U.S. shopping malls that I have experienced. This one had dark hard wood floors and no commercial advertising for the food vendors, all of which seemed to be independent, quality food vendors. The East Indian food we had for dinner was most excellent and very much affordable.

Sue & Teresa at the Bondi Junction bus terminal (Dec. 14, 2006)

As it turned out, I ended up back in that same area the next day with my dear Seed Mate Noel, where we tried to search out a fife for Noel to take with him for the week-end in the Blue Mountains, but alas, despite the massive, 6 stories of shopping mall sprawled out over a few blocks, there was no proper music store, only CD’S, DVD’s, etc. We did seek out some of the very tantalizing dessert treats from that very nice food court & celebrated Noel’s 70th birthday that happened last month :) Happy Birthday Mate!!

After bidding Noel farewell back at the YHA, Fumiko (Fumi) & John, good friends of my Auntie Evelyn welcomed me to their home last night for dinner & a comfortable bed away from the backpacker hostel mode of sleeping :) Fumi’s very sizable Honda Civic handled my boxed up bike & bags with great ease. I am extremely grateful for Fumi & John’s kindness in welcoming me to their home out in the North Shore area of Sydney as well as their readiness to have me store my large baggage & bike while I head off to Melbourne & over to Western Australia for the next couple of weeks. THANK YOU, thank you for welcoming this Outward Bound Canadian. I look forward to continuing our visit upon my return to Sydney in the new year.

I am now at the Sydney airport after a visit with the beautiful Bec, another Seed Mate here in Sydney.

"Matilda", Bec’s 40 year old white Holden car got us their in good order & I had time to spare since the flight was delayed 15 minutes :)

Good timing indeed, ... I have just finished this post for my BLOG & now they are boarding the airplane ...

I'll write more shortly on my time near Melbourne at the Australasian Buddhist Festival out at the newly opended Kadampa Meditation Centre 1 hour east of Melbourne and the visits I am having with my Seed Mates Glenda & Ruth ...

Here's a couple of web links to give you a taste of what I have enjoyed at the Festival & my time with Glenda so far today :)

Australasian Festival http://www.australasianfestival.org/

Community Environment Park http://www.ceres.org.au/index1024x768.htm

Be well,

Teresa

p.s. I still haven't figured out how to get any pictures posted to my BLOG yet ... Deanna (thanks for your note :), Maureen, or Mair, please send me any advice you may have for doing this ... it seems that my picture files are taking too long to upload ... even the smaller resolution files that Maureen created for me ... any helpful suggestions you have for me & this new MacBook I am using would be greatly appreciated :) FINALLY GOT THIS SORTED OUT ... YIPPEE!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Teresa, It's great being kept up to speed with all of your exciting adventures. Looking forward to more and more. TTYL

Mom said...

This is great being able to keep up with you and your wanderings. Am making perogies today - too bad you are so far away and will not be able to enjoy them. Weather here is very unseasonable quite warm and un-winter like. Oh well. Take care and love from all of us here. Mom

Unknown said...

Hey Teresa, Have a wonderful Christmas. I was sorry to hear that I missed your phone call the other night. Take Care! Lots of Hugs. Colleen

Mom said...

Teresa as you celebrate Christmas so far away know that you are in our thoughts and prayers as prepare to celebrate the holiday here. "Khristos razhdayetsya"(Christ is born!),"Slavite Yoho!" (Let Us Glorify Him!) Perogies are made, holupchi are cooking in the slow cooker, kutya is ready to go along with the rest of Christmas Eve supper. Empty plate will be set for those not with us. Hope Christmas down under is a wonderful day for you and know that you are loved and missed by all of us here. Take care.

Dee said...

Hey Teresa,
Good to know you've made it - looking forward to your updates. Sorry to have missed your bon voyage as well - we were into final approach on the big exam and things were pretty hairy around the household. Things went well though and there's now a Dr. in the house - YAY!

Global Sunlight Map

Lunar Phase

"Awakening the Dreamer ... Changing the Dream"

Joanna Macy & David Korten Dialogue on the Great Turning ("For the Grandchildren" event)

Money as Debt video - Paul Grignon

The Story of Cap & Trade (Annie Leonard)

YouTube

How It All Ends - http://www.gregcraven.org/en/the-videos

Oh, the Places You'll Go! - Dr. Seuss